Wednesday, March 05, 2003  

Vive La France!

I woke up this morning thinking about a guy that went to my college who (according to the rumor) pretended to be French. His name was Joël (pronounced "Jo-elle") and he was tall, skinny and very pale with long black hair and bad teeth. Okay, he kinda looked like he wasn't "from around here." He wore a lot of black clothes, I think I spotted him wearing a beret once (and eating a baguette - hah! not really) and he hung out a lot in the coffee shop downtown, smoking foreign cigarettes. He unnerved me because he was always staring at people with this intense stare (I think he thought it was sexy) but I didn't think too much about it, just thought he was kind of pretentious.

Then sources told me his name wasn't Joël, it was "Joel"! He was actually from a small town, I think in South Georgia, and had come to our school pretending to be a student from France. Hah! I couldn't believe it! Where did he tell people he was from, a small town called Remulak? (please tell me I'm not the only one who remembers that? From the Coneheads?) I know people go off to college and can reinvent themselves however they like but come on - passing as French?!? Suddenly, I was looking at Joël in a new light - loose the turtleneck, put him in some Wranglers with a Nehi soda in his hands....wait a minute, he's not from France! He's from Hicksville, U.S.A. Like the rest of us!! Humph.

Wherever or whoever Joël is today, I hope he's happy.....




*Side note to any college friends reading this: Do any of you remember this guy?


| posted by Mary | 3/05/2003 03:48:00 PM
Previously
For More Info
Favorite Reads

Amalah
Boy Girl Party
Currently
Daily Bite
Da*xiang
Defective Yeti
Dooce
Foodgoat
Karen Cheng
Keri Smith
LJC Blog
LoobyLu
Mighty Girl
Momo Freaks Out
More Than Donuts
Not Martha
Peppermint Tina
Pound
Que Sera Sera
The Random Muse
Right Moon
Snarkywood
Suburban Bliss
Superhero Journal
Swoozie Ramblings

Atlanta Bloggers

Cap'n Ken
Coffee Achiever
hollismb
Lady Crumpet
Mingaling
Rambling Robin
Scott Strader
Sitting in the Window...
Titus Barik
Atlanta Blogs




Free interactive commenting by www.SquawkBox.tv - click to sign-up!