Wednesday, July 16, 2003  

What the Young People Are Wearing.



I'm not sure how I got on this mailing list but in the past few weeks I've starting receiving all these catalogs with "the best back to school fashions!" Even though I'm a little confused by why I'm suddenly being targeted by clothing companies such as Alloy and Girlfriends LA I've certainly enjoyed checking out the clothes. They're all pretty inexpensive and very teen-trendy....lots of ironic schoolgirl prep stuff, pseudo punk stuff, 80's legwarmers.

And I have to say, I'm jealous. I think it would be really great to be a thirteen-year-old girl right now, there are so many fun things to wear. Even though I would probably look ridiculous trying to rock a black and white stripey sweater with "arm warmers" I would have loved it when I was younger. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for timeless, classic clothes, Audrey Hepburn and Jackie Onassis, yada yada....but I'm looking at the pages of Girlfriends LA and thinking "That just looks fun."

The closest thing I remember having to this kind of stuff was the Delia's catalog. I loved Delia's. I still do actually. They have the same teen-trendiness as the other catalogs but I usually order a thing or two every fall....like a fun new hat or some shoes, something I can wear without looking too foolish. I hope.

I first learned about Delia's through the back page ads in Sassy magazine. You don't even want to get me started on Sassy, I never threw a magazine away and still have the whole collection of them, living in a pile under my dresser. I loved Sassy so much. Sometimes I'll pull them out and leaf through and think about, even though it certainly wasn't perfect, there was something magical about being that age.

| posted by Mary | 7/16/2003 06:14:00 PM
Previously
For More Info
Favorite Reads

Amalah
Boy Girl Party
Currently
Daily Bite
Da*xiang
Defective Yeti
Dooce
Foodgoat
Karen Cheng
Keri Smith
LJC Blog
LoobyLu
Mighty Girl
Momo Freaks Out
More Than Donuts
Not Martha
Peppermint Tina
Pound
Que Sera Sera
The Random Muse
Right Moon
Snarkywood
Suburban Bliss
Superhero Journal
Swoozie Ramblings

Atlanta Bloggers

Cap'n Ken
Coffee Achiever
hollismb
Lady Crumpet
Mingaling
Rambling Robin
Scott Strader
Sitting in the Window...
Titus Barik
Atlanta Blogs




Free interactive commenting by www.SquawkBox.tv - click to sign-up!