Tuesday, August 05, 2003  

Going Gilda.



I have a tendency to get a little obsessed with things that I like. Lately, I've been on a classic Saturday Night Live kick, anything I can find on 1975-1980 shows. It started innocently enough with reading "Live from New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live", a fantastic book that came out last fall.
Then I moved onto to "Samaui Widow" (John Belushi's wife's book), "Bunny, Bunny: Gilda Radner: A Sort of Love Story" (by staff writer Alan Zweibel, "It's Always Something" (by Gilda Radner) and "Gilda: An Intimate Portrait." And watching old tapes that I had of "Best of Gilda Radner", "Best of Dan Aykroyd”, "The SNL 25th Anniversary Show."

I think it's fun to just totally immerse yourself in a topic or era and I've enjoyed driving Andrew crazy with my SNL trivia. But mostly, I've just really enjoyed learning more about Gilda Radner. Ever since I "discovered" the classic Saturday Night Live shows (I was truly obsessed back in Jr High) I have thought Gilda was the funniest and coolest chick in the world. And after reading these books I think it even more. Someone who went through huge struggles but kept their sense of joy, what could be cooler than that?

For anyone dealing with a health problem or just wanting to read an inspiring story "It's Always Something" is a surprising, fascinating and ultimately, an uplifting book. Highly recommend.

Also, and I'm afraid this might make me sound a little too obsessed, but while shopping in Sephora last weekend I bought Paula Dorf's "Gilda" Lipstick. A portion of the sales is donated to "Gilda's Club", an organization to support women, men and children living with cancer. It's a great lipstick, a nice neutral rose shade. And the sales help out a great organization, how cool is that?

Don't worry, I haven't gone totally nutso yet.....there are several sets of Gilda Radner Paper Dolls for auction on Ebay and I haven't even put in a bid on one of them. Yet.

| posted by Mary | 8/05/2003 12:43:00 PM
Previously
For More Info
Favorite Reads

Amalah
Boy Girl Party
Currently
Daily Bite
Da*xiang
Defective Yeti
Dooce
Foodgoat
Karen Cheng
Keri Smith
LJC Blog
LoobyLu
Mighty Girl
Momo Freaks Out
More Than Donuts
Not Martha
Peppermint Tina
Pound
Que Sera Sera
The Random Muse
Right Moon
Snarkywood
Suburban Bliss
Superhero Journal
Swoozie Ramblings

Atlanta Bloggers

Cap'n Ken
Coffee Achiever
hollismb
Lady Crumpet
Mingaling
Rambling Robin
Scott Strader
Sitting in the Window...
Titus Barik
Atlanta Blogs




Free interactive commenting by www.SquawkBox.tv - click to sign-up!