Tuesday, January 27, 2004  

Cheap Beer. Bad Karaoke.



Andrew turns 30 this Friday and in honor of his birthday (as well as total denial that we're growing up) I'm planning a night out at a local dive bar for heavy drinking and....karaoke!

I've been pretty excited about this and Andrew has been amusing himself thinking of hideous songs to make people sing (we figured since it was his birthday party he should get to hear whatever he wants, right?).

But then last night I started thinking about me having to get up and sing. Eek. I love music but I am a horrible singer. Horrible. I open my mouth and inevitably some kind of gurgling bleat comes out....I can't even control it. And it's even worse under pressure. I still remember a college musical I tried out when I was a freshman and I sang "You're The One That I Want" from Grease (why?! why?!). I was so bad that after I finished the director gave me a sympathetic smile and a girl backstage asked me if I was actually going to come back for the reading? Huh. It was even worse than I thought.

So singing in front of people makes me a little nervous. Nothing a few drinks won't solve but still....you have to be very careful with karaoke. Picking my own songs and making a fool of myself if one thing but getting dragged into a group disaster is another. My last karaoke experience included getting roped into going on stage with my sister-in-law and her friends and bleating En Vogue's "Whatta Man." Oh, it was painful. Every time I tried to quietly skulk off the stage an arm would reach out and pull me back in.

After that I've decided to err on the side of caution when it comes to group karaoking. If I hear "Love Shack" start up I'm heading to the bathroom. If "Goodbye Earl" comes on I'm off to the parking lot for a smoke. (I don't actually smoke but I may have to start)

And if I even think I hear the opening strains to "Whatta Man" I'll be in my car, heading home.

| posted by Mary | 1/27/2004 06:15:00 PM
Previously
For More Info
Favorite Reads

Amalah
Boy Girl Party
Currently
Daily Bite
Da*xiang
Defective Yeti
Dooce
Foodgoat
Karen Cheng
Keri Smith
LJC Blog
LoobyLu
Mighty Girl
Momo Freaks Out
More Than Donuts
Not Martha
Peppermint Tina
Pound
Que Sera Sera
The Random Muse
Right Moon
Snarkywood
Suburban Bliss
Superhero Journal
Swoozie Ramblings

Atlanta Bloggers

Cap'n Ken
Coffee Achiever
hollismb
Lady Crumpet
Mingaling
Rambling Robin
Scott Strader
Sitting in the Window...
Titus Barik
Atlanta Blogs




Free interactive commenting by www.SquawkBox.tv - click to sign-up!