Tuesday, February 24, 2004  

I'm ba-aaaaack..........

Wellllll....... Almost a week since I last blogged. For shame, for shame! I didn't fall into a dark hole or get trapped under a piece of heavy furniture, I've just been in a bit of a daze, followed by a bout of sheer laziness. One thing I've learned about blogging, it's a lot like exercising or eating right, if you stop doing it for a day or two it's awfully easy to just fall off completely.

But I've missed my blog, missed reading my favorite sites and am looking forward to logging in some time catching up on it all.

My lack of bloginess is mainly due to the fact that for the past week I haven't spent every day sitting in front of a computer for 12 hours. I've been at home....sitting in front of a television, or sitting with a carton of Breyer's vanilla ice cream, or sitting in the bed reading late at night and thinking that I really should get some sleep.

A little over a week ago I was offered a new job. I start March 1st. I'm excited about it, mostly because it's just a couple of miles from our house and my hours will be much better than at my old job. The is a job where I think I can leave work on time every day and will never hear anyone say things like "Okay, last drop off for FedEx is 11:30 pm at the airport....keep working and I think we can make it!"

So it was with great happiness that I accepted the new position. And with great apprehension that I prepared my resignation letter. Things had been pretty busy at the office lately and I felt bad about only giving a two week notice but figured I could get a lot of things sorted out in two weeks and leave it all in good standing.

Imagine my surprise when my resignation last Tuesday was greeted with a look of sheer hatred and "I think you should go ahead and leave as soon as possible. Today. You should leave as soon as possible today. I can't believe you're doing this. You owe us better than this."

This coming from our company president, who I have worked very hard for over the past three years. I just stared at him in disbelief and stammered out "It's nothing personal. Please....don't" at which point I was cut off with a "There is nothing else to say."

Ouch.

I packed up my things, dashed off a few quick emails to contacts, sent out a company-wide email telling everyone goodbye and then that was that. I was free.

But it didn't feel like it. Instead of emancipated I felt like I being sent away on dishonorable discharge. I couldn't believe it. I mean, I wasn't expecting a big going-away party or anything but I didn't expect getting kicked out on my butt either.

I spent the first day at home sulking and whining but then decided to enjoy my week and a half of vacation, even if it was involuntary. Lots to do around the house, plenty of good movies to go see (Big Fish! Big Fish!) and I've been dazzling Andrew with my housewifeliness, having dinner on the table when he gets home and all that. So far I'd say not working suits me pretty well but I'm trying to convince myself that I'm ready to go back to work, because like it or not, I've got a new job starting next Monday.

And I'll be happy to start there and I know that things have probably worked out for the best. Still, I just felt this weird sense of shock last week at how quickly things can change. You can have a job where you work 50 hours or more a week and it takes up like 80 of your time (not counting sleeping) and you try hard to make everyone happy and then - poof! - none of it matters. Really puts it all in perspective.

So that's my story and I'm sticking with it. I've had enough emotional upheaval to last me a while and I'll look forward writing about things like new patio furniture, toothpaste, and all the other silly things that I'd rather spend my time thinking about.

By the way - I realized that today was a very good day to start back blogging because today, February 24th, marks the one year anniversary since I started this site. (well, one year if you don't count the last two weeks that I haven't been writing!) This time last year I was a newlywed returning from her honeymoon, living with a new husband in a 735 sf apartment and keeping busy writing approximately ten thousand thank you notes. Now we've been happily married just over a year, living in a great big house in a whole new town starting a whole new job. Wow. In an everchanging world of craziness the blog remains.

I'm happy that I've been able to stick with it.

| posted by Mary | 2/24/2004 10:53:00 PM
Previously
For More Info
Favorite Reads

Amalah
Boy Girl Party
Currently
Daily Bite
Da*xiang
Defective Yeti
Dooce
Foodgoat
Karen Cheng
Keri Smith
LJC Blog
LoobyLu
Mighty Girl
Momo Freaks Out
More Than Donuts
Not Martha
Peppermint Tina
Pound
Que Sera Sera
The Random Muse
Right Moon
Snarkywood
Suburban Bliss
Superhero Journal
Swoozie Ramblings

Atlanta Bloggers

Cap'n Ken
Coffee Achiever
hollismb
Lady Crumpet
Mingaling
Rambling Robin
Scott Strader
Sitting in the Window...
Titus Barik
Atlanta Blogs




Free interactive commenting by www.SquawkBox.tv - click to sign-up!