Tuesday, March 23, 2004  

I Loathe Kinko's



I experienced major excitement this morning when a family friend passed my resume on to some contacts who passed it on to someone else who was going to pass it on to the hiring managers for a position I recently applied for. They say it's all who you know and I think sometimes that can be a huge help. This is for a position in an organization I've always wanted to work for and I was so freakin excited just to have some kind of connection.

The person who had gotten my resume emailed me to ask for writing samples. Sure thing! Would you like hard copies or PDF files? PDF. No problem! Well, not a problem really but I didn't have some of stuff in digital format so I ran up to the local Kinko's to scan a few things and PDF them. I thought this might take about thirty minutes.

Now, some of you may remember that I've had problems with Kinko's before. I had a full-on psychotic meltdown in the store last February, trying to get our wedding programs printed. I don't know why I keep going back, I must be a masochist because it is a bad experience every single time. I spent over two hours trying get the scanning and pfding done and everytime the files were just huge. I couldn't figure out how to change the settings of the scanner and everytime I asked the person at the computer station Help Desk she would look at it and go "I don't know....that's crazy!"

Yeah. Crazy. The girl had even less of a clue than I did. Finally pushed over the edge I grabbed my stuff, ran out of Kinko's, sat in the car and called my mom to tell her I wouldn't be able to go to yoga class because I was still trying to get the stupid files together to email and it was already 5:00. I was so upset with the Kinko's people I was shaking and as soon as I heard my mom's kind voice I just burst into tears.

"I'm.....(sniff)....(sob)...I'm at Kinko's and....and they...they aren't helpful! Waaaaaah! I...I...(sob)....have to email this stuff and...I....(sob)....can't get it to woooooorrk!"

After thoroughly alarming my mom I hung up the phone and did the same thing with Andrew. Andrew has had a bad Kinko's experience of his own and he was all vigilante-like on the phone, "Baby, we don't need them! We don't need Kinko's! No! We'll get it done on our own, even if we have to go buy a scanner tonight. That's right. Quit crying, just drive home. Do not go back into Kinko's!"

We ended up getting a scanner (they've gotten pretty cheap), which I'm excited about anyway and we got everything done and sent off. Earlier in the afternoon when I had emailed back with "No problem, I'll send you the PDFs", I had no idea that the rest of my day would turn out like this. Hopefully it was all worth it. Keep your fingers crossed that I'll get a call, an interview, something.

In the meantime, I am planning a full boycott of Kinko's. Never again. Never again.

| posted by Mary | 3/23/2004 12:01:00 PM
Previously
For More Info
Favorite Reads

Amalah
Boy Girl Party
Currently
Daily Bite
Da*xiang
Defective Yeti
Dooce
Foodgoat
Karen Cheng
Keri Smith
LJC Blog
LoobyLu
Mighty Girl
Momo Freaks Out
More Than Donuts
Not Martha
Peppermint Tina
Pound
Que Sera Sera
The Random Muse
Right Moon
Snarkywood
Suburban Bliss
Superhero Journal
Swoozie Ramblings

Atlanta Bloggers

Cap'n Ken
Coffee Achiever
hollismb
Lady Crumpet
Mingaling
Rambling Robin
Scott Strader
Sitting in the Window...
Titus Barik
Atlanta Blogs




Free interactive commenting by www.SquawkBox.tv - click to sign-up!