Monday, August 02, 2004  

Holy Crap I'm Tired.

My first day at work didn't get off to the best start. When I accepted the job offer last Friday the partner that I was speaking told me he would be out all of the next week and to check in with So-And-So when I get in. Apparently he neglected to leave the message with anyone (including So-and-So) that I had been hired, let alone that I was starting on Monday. Ooops. I felt embarrassed and in the way and kept feeling like I should apologize for being there. Oh well.

Things got better after an hour or so...I started going through old files, made a flyer for someone and started on a editing project. After I started working on something the day passed pretty quickly. I've never worked in a cubicle before and that was a little weird...it is so open and I realize now that I will never be able to have personal phone calls without a dozen or so co-workers hearing them. I'm also going to have to learn to block out other people's conversations...maybe I need headphones.

There is no water color in the office and I hadn't brought bottled water so I sat around drying up all morning until I finally went and got a Diet Coke out of the fridge. No water but a seemingly endless supply of Cokes and Diet Cokes in glass bottles, which is kind of charming. Except that I drank two Diet Cokes within a two hour period and had to sit in my cubicle stifling burps all morning. Which isn't very charming.

The ride home from work this evening was excruciating...I'm hoping it was a fluke (it was raining and I passed a few accidents) but we'll see what the rest of the week brings. I felt like a slacker racing out the door at exactly 5:30 (quitting time) but I was trying to make my 6:00 Jazzercise class. Didn't happen.

I was in Target over the weekend and had to go look at all the new school supplies...they had some really great stuff. I've decided that tomorrow evening I'm going to go buy some colorful pushpins and funky post-it notes and some other fun stuff to make my cube feel like home. Cubicle Sweet Cubicle.

The office that I'm in is actually a converted house...before it was purchased by the firm it was a Chinese gambling parlor, which I think is fascinating. I had no window but my cube backs up to a (non-working) fireplace. I'm considering making a construction paper fire to put in it.

| posted by Mary | 8/02/2004 08:48:00 PM
Previously
For More Info
Favorite Reads

Amalah
Boy Girl Party
Currently
Daily Bite
Da*xiang
Defective Yeti
Dooce
Foodgoat
Karen Cheng
Keri Smith
LJC Blog
LoobyLu
Mighty Girl
Momo Freaks Out
More Than Donuts
Not Martha
Peppermint Tina
Pound
Que Sera Sera
The Random Muse
Right Moon
Snarkywood
Suburban Bliss
Superhero Journal
Swoozie Ramblings

Atlanta Bloggers

Cap'n Ken
Coffee Achiever
hollismb
Lady Crumpet
Mingaling
Rambling Robin
Scott Strader
Sitting in the Window...
Titus Barik
Atlanta Blogs




Free interactive commenting by www.SquawkBox.tv - click to sign-up!