Monday, August 09, 2004  

Still Trying to Get the Hang of This Whole Work/Life Balance Thing.

Also, trying to figure out best time of day to blog. The consensus:

Morning: not quite awake enough yet to write coherent thoughts

Evening: too tired from workday to write coherent thoughts

Lunchtime: too paranoid to write while sitting in a cubicle, hunched over my lunch and glancing around furtively

But I'm sure I'll get over it as I get used to only have three hours or so of free time a day. I've been thinking about this and wondering what happens to my day. I read this Italian saying in a book once that went something like "Lucky lucky me...I"m a lucky son of a gun...I work eight hours, I sleep eight hours, I have eight hours of fun."

Eight hours of fun? That sounds impossible.

Current schedule:

6:00 Alarm goes off simultaneously while Andrew, back from his workout, crawls back into bed to snuggle for "just one minute"

6:15 Snooze alarm goes off, either roll over and sleep 15 more minutes or get up, depending on how tired I am

6:30 In the shower, showering. Still not awake yet.

6:45-7:30 Brushing teeth, putting in contacts, putting on make-up, drying hair, ironing hair (bad bad Mary), picking out work clothes, realizing pants need ironing, ironing pants, searching for left shoe or wedding ring or something else that I can't find

7:35 In kitchen, rushing about trying to fix breakfast and maybe a lunch to take. Thinking, I need to leave at 7:45, I can totally do this.

7:55 Damn. How did that happen? Race to get in car.

8:00 In car now, alternately listening to morning radio and David Byrne's "Uh Oh" cd (favorite cd of the moment, again)

8:30 Arrive at work.

8:30-5:25
Work. Work. Work. Check email. Work. Work. Work. Read a few blogs. Work. Work. Drink too many Diet Cokes. Work.

5:25 Start thinking "I'm out of here!"

5:30 Get caught up in conversation with someone.

5:40 "I'm out of here!" Try to make it to 6:00 Jazzercise class.

6:00 Am now late for Jazzercise.

6:15 Still in traffic. Am now really late.

6:30 To hell with it. I'm going home.

6:45 Home. Talk to husband. Check phone calls. Check emails. Complain about not wanting to cook dinner. Collapse in chair and complain about how tired I am. Eat something for dinner (pasta salad...again?).

9:00 Whaaaa happened?

9:15 Starting freaking out trying to figure out what happened to the past two hours. Decide to go to bed early.

10:40 Get in bed. Not early.

11:00 Sleep.

6:00 AM Here we go again.

| posted by Mary | 8/09/2004 07:39:00 PM
Previously
For More Info
Favorite Reads

Amalah
Boy Girl Party
Currently
Daily Bite
Da*xiang
Defective Yeti
Dooce
Foodgoat
Karen Cheng
Keri Smith
LJC Blog
LoobyLu
Mighty Girl
Momo Freaks Out
More Than Donuts
Not Martha
Peppermint Tina
Pound
Que Sera Sera
The Random Muse
Right Moon
Snarkywood
Suburban Bliss
Superhero Journal
Swoozie Ramblings

Atlanta Bloggers

Cap'n Ken
Coffee Achiever
hollismb
Lady Crumpet
Mingaling
Rambling Robin
Scott Strader
Sitting in the Window...
Titus Barik
Atlanta Blogs




Free interactive commenting by www.SquawkBox.tv - click to sign-up!